Thursday, October 05, 2006

Day Four & Five

I apologize for not updating yesterday. I was pretty pooped yesterday and, since I needed to be somewhere this morning, I went to bed early. I think I was out by 10:30 or so.

So, yesterday, the weather still being somewhat overcast, I decided to make my way over to the Tokyo National Museum by Ueno Park. This was about a half hour train ride on the Yamanote line. When I got to Ueno station, I had a hard time finding the right exit. Either I wasn't looking in the right place or proper signage was lacking in telling you which way to go to get to the park and/or museum. In any case, I did find my way to the park.

Walking down the main thoroughfare of the park, one could see quite a few homeless people hanging around the park. There were a lot of "thing" covered with a blue tarp. Blue tarpaulin seems to be the material of choice in covering and protecting one's remaining personal possessions. I noticed that these folk do not seem to bother anyone and general keep to themselves.

Anyway, I managed to make my way over to the museum. There was a special exhibit called "Shaping Faith — Japanese Ichiboku Buddhist Statues". It cost a little extra, but what the heck. It was an interesting exhibit on wooden statues and the technique and history behind the creation of these statues. Afterwards, I went off to explore the rest of the museum.

This museum has quite an extensive collection of ancient Japanese artifacts and a huge variety of things between then and now. I highly recommend a visit to this museum.

Today was more of a runaround type of day. I was meeting a few people today at various times. As a result, I was hopping on and off trains most of the day. I had one meeting in the AM. Then I had to scootch over to Shinagawa to catch the Shinakansen to Shin-Yokohama to have lunch with R. Then it's back on the Shinkansen to Shinagawa and then to Roppongi for a 2PM meeting. Whew!! Needless to say, I'm pretty pooped right now.

Tomorrow I've got to get ready for the train ride to Kyoto. I promise to take a whack load of pics from that trip. :-)

No comments: