Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Day Ten - Kamakura

Since the weather has improved a lot over last week, I figure I'd at least try to get one day-trip in. So it was a little trip over to Kamakura.

Kamakura is about an hour (depending on which train station you get on the Yokosuka Line) from Tokyo. Grabbing the train from Shinagawa, it was about a 45 minute ride out to Kita-Kamakura. Some guide books will suggest starting from here and making your way towards "downtown" Kamakura and Kamakura Station. Along the way are a good number of shrines and temples. I managed to visit a few along the way.


Right next to the Kita-Kamakura station is Engaku-ji. This a Zen Buddhist temple. There are a number of interesting statues on the temple grounds.


Afterwards, I hoofed it over to Kencho-ji Temple. Another Zen Buddhist temple. The grounds of this temple are rather nice. It's right next to a school, so it wasn't as peaceful as one would hope.


Then I made my way over to Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu Shrine. It's a Shinto shrine. I think there was a wedding going on when I got there. From here it was maybe about a t 10-15 minute walk to the Kamakura Station. From there I caught the Enoden line to Hase Station.


From Hase Station, it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Daibutsu. This is what most people to visit Kamakura come to check out. It's quite impressive.

After that, it was back to Tokyo to rest my weary feet. :-)

No comments: