Monday, November 26, 2007

Hong Kong: Monday, Last Day

Well, it's the last day here in Hong Kong. We didn't do anything too strenuous today. We kind of slept in a bit and only headed out a little after 10AM. We headed out to Sham Shui Po. It's not a huge area. I guess there's a few interesting features of the area. There's an open-air flea market. Along one street there's a whole bunch of stores selling clothing at wholesale prices. We stopped by the Dragon Centre which is yet another multi-level mall. Dad decided to have a therapeutic massage at this place that charged $84HK for 30 minutes. He said he felt good after that. Then we decided to have some food at the food court there.

Afterwards, we made our way back to Mong Kok by way of Yau Ma Tei. Walked around Nathan Road a little bit. Bought a funky mango drink. Went back to the hotel to relax. after watching a movie in the room, I decided to get my bag ready. I did buy a few tops and a few bags, but I was still able to close up my bag with some slack.

Thoughts about Hong Kong? I think the nine days spent here was a bit too long for me. Hong Kong in general is not a very big place. I think we managed to see the major sites. I don't know how many shopping malls we hit. I'm sure there are many bargains still to be found, but I did not really come here to shop. What I did find interesting was seeing how people lived here. It's interesting to see that there is a campaign going on now to make people more aware of the environment and what they can do to become more green. Another observation I made is that people are HUGE football (aka soccer) fans here. It's very easy to find football jerseys here. On the hotel cable there's a channel that's all soccer it seems.

A few things I saw that I thought were interesting: a little, elderly lady yakking away on a cell phone, bamboo scaffolding covering an entire building, people carrying around 2 cell phones for some reason. In any case, there's quite a few sights I saw that were interesting. Sometimes, it would just seem too awkward to take photos of them all.

Anyway, on to the next destination tomorrow morning...

No comments: