Thursday, November 22, 2007

Hong Kong: Thursday (later)



We took the subway out to Hong Kong Island and got off at Central station. We spent a little bit of time strolling through the mall at the IFC. Nothing spectacular there really. After that, we made out way to the small park where there is a cenotaph dedicated to those who died during World War II and some even between 1914-1918. I should look up the history of Hong Kong during that period.



We then went to find the way to the tram that would take us up to Victoria's Peak. We eventually found this walkway/bridge network that brought us to the Peak Tramway. For $48HK, we got a round trip ticket and access to the rooftop terrace. It's quite the view from up there. I also discovered that Dad was afraid of heights. He avoided getting too close to the side.



We strolled around the area before taking the tram back down. Then we made our way to the pier to catch the ferry back. The boat ride cost just $1.70HK for a 9 minute trip back to Tsim Sha Tsui. We then went back to the Harbour City Mall for my Mom to look for something for my cousin's kids. There is a Sanrio store there, so she got a couple of hair clips. I looked at the Tokodoki Le Sportsac bags but the designs they had did not appeal to me. I liked the one I saw the other day at the Sogo department store. After we were done at the mall, we went over to Sogo to look at the bags. The one I wanted was still there. Yay! So I bought that plus a matching small zippered pouch. :-D

After the damage was done, we caught the subway back to the hotel. Mom called my cousin and we'll be meeting her towards 7PM. She got here a little early and we went to the restaurant located in the hotel (but not run by the hotel) for dinner. It was a nice dinner, really. We started with some nice barbecued pork. It was quite tender. We had some sort of soup with shark's fin in it. There was a Shanghai specialty called xiao leung bao. There was some prawn dish that was tasty, but I find a bit annoying to eat because it was shell on. Sweet and sour pork (of all things) was also served. Peking duck was ordered. The crispy skin served with nice thin pancakes along with celery, green onions and hoisin sauce. A green vegetable was also ordered. I have no idea what it's called in english but it's quite nice and served in some sort of crab sauce. It's really not as bad as it sounds. The sauce did not have an overwhelming taste to it.

No comments: