Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hong Kong: Thursday Morning

Nothing too exciting this morning other than maybe a few observations to make.

I'll need to read up a bit on the social structure of Hong Kong, but one thing I have noticed here is that it's at times very visible to see the haves and have-nots here. The other evening I caught part of a documentary called Hong Kong Stories. The installment I saw was about the homeless here in Hong Kong. It's rather sad to see but it's also comforting to know that there are organizations that try to help those in need and who want to be helped. There's this thing about pride and saving face here in Asia. So it's interesting to see that there are those who try to save face by seeking the help they need to get back on their feet.

This morning as we took a walk around the area after breakfast, I noticed a few things. There were those who seemed obviously down and out. I saw one man picking through the garbage for anything salvageable. Another man keeping up with his oral hygiene by brushing his teeth near a phone booth. I've seen a number of people around who seem quite a bit less well off than others. A few times we have seen crippled men begging for change in the middle of the street. It's really sad to say. It makes you wonder what sort of social assistance is available at all here. Like I said, I think I would need to read up on this some more.

Anyway, about head out shortly for Hong Kong Island.

No comments: