Thursday, November 29, 2007

Shanghai: Thursday

I suck at bargaining. I really do.

I went over to this market place. One of the big places for fakes. It's literally right at the subway station Shanghai Science & Technology Museum. It's like a maze of small shops selling everything from clothing to jewelry to bags. You name it and they probably sell it.

I was approached by individuals asking if I wanted to see their watches or bags. I said no or ignored them and continued walking. I eventually wandered around and came across one place that seemed to have some decent looking bags. I went in. I looked. And I came away with 3 bags: one was a D&G bag and the other 2 were Prada. Of course, they were fakes. When I mentioned watches to the sales girl she led me through the maze of hallways to another shop that sold scarves and watches. I came away with a Rolex (for my brother) and a pink LV watch that will be a gift for a friend's fiancee.

Something interesting to note when I was in the bag shop. After I initially bought the D&G bag, the sales girl wanted to show me some better stuff. So she opens up one of the shelves to reveal a small stockroom. It barely had room for 2 people but she told me to go in there with her and closed the door. Inside, there were some better looking Coach, LV, Prada and a few other designer label bags. She showed me 2 Prada bags that looked nice. I tried to haggle a bit. I got her down to 560RMB for the 2 Prada bags. The D&G I bought in the shop I paid 175RMB for.

Oh! And how much did I pay for the watches? Too much. I paid 1000RMB for the 2. Abe said I'm allowed at least one such mistake when it comes to bargaining. I guess I just don't have the stomach for it.

It's getting late, but I'll take some pics of the goods and post them later. In the meantime, I think I am done with the shopping for now. At least here in Shanghai. :p

No comments: